*Upcoming: Invitation to Attend Annual
WHITE MASS & DINNER, SATURDAY OCTOBER 29, 2016
Click here to register (registration closes Oct 22!)
Sponsored by: TAMPA BAY GUILD OF ST. PHILOMENA CATHOLIC MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (CMA)
VIGIL MASS at 5:00 PM Celebrated by Bishop Robert Lynch
Followed by Dinner & Speaker, Wayne Phillips, MD
Allergist & Scientific Member of The International Shroud Science Group
“The Shroud of Turin: Evidence-based Faith ”
IN RECOGNITION OF: CATHOLIC PHYSICIANS /MEDICAL STUDENTS & RESIDENTS/HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS
LOCATION: BETHANY RETREAT CENTER ~ 18150 Bethany Center Drive Lutz, FL 33558
COST: $ 45.00 per person for dinner ($20 med. students/residents)
Registration deadline: Oct. 22, 2016.
Contact if questions: Tampawhitemass16@gmail.com or Dr. Rob Hamill (CMA guild president)
* Upcoming: CMA guilds in Florida Retreat/Conference & Legislative Update
Feb. 25-28, 2016 at Saint Leo Abbey in St. Leo, Florida:
” Witnessing To Mercy & Human Dignity On the Battlefield of Medicine”.
Conference Moderator: Fr. Scott Francis Binet, M.D., MI,
Retreat Master: Fr. James Kelleher, SOLT, Our Lady of Corpus Christi, Tx,
Guest speaker: Sr. Renee Mirkens, OSF, PhD, The Pope Paul VI Institute,
Omaha, NE (among others!) – A relaxing weekend to become updated on
how to practice medicine in accordance with your conscience and the Faith!
–Annual White Mass & Dinner Nov.3, 2015 at Bethany Center in Lutz,FL;
Msgr. Robert F. Morris, Vicar General of Diocese of St. Petersburg
celebrated the White Mass. Dinner followed with speakers
John Littell, M.D. ” Witness In The Spiritual Battle Against Abortion”
(author of “The Hidden Truth: Deception in Women’s Health Care) and
Sara DeJulio on “Abortion Pill Reversal.”
-“Choose Life” CMA Guild Event: Aug. 22,2015
at the House of Prayer in Clearwater, FL at 10 am;
Mass was celebrated by Fr. Tom Kirchhoefer (a military chaplain).
“Update On Pro-Life Issues Facing Catholic Doctors” included speakers
Jan Halisky, J.D. of Florida Right to Life, Diane Gowski, MD on “POLST” topic
and Debi Vinnedge (Children of God For Life). Lunch followed, with fellowship
and then prayer in the chapel.-
-Mass & Brunch at the Bethany Retreat Center;
Father Tom Kirchhoeffer celebrated Mass and guild attendees enjoyed lunch
together and a relaxing day at the beautiful Bethany retreat center.
– Annual White Mass and dinner event was held on Sept. 13, 2014
at Bethany retreat center in Lutz with 5:30 PM Vigil Mass with Most Rev.Robert Lynch. Dinner speaker was Dr. Ryan Topping, Fellow,
Thomas More College of the Liberal Arts, Merrimack, NH,
who has presented widely on Catholic radio/TV including EWTN.
He spoke on “ St. Luke meets Dr. Faustus: The Struggle for the Doctor’s Soul ”.
The Mass was in recognition of CATHOLIC PHYSICIANS /MEDICAL STUDENTS/HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS.
– Annual White Mass for 2013 was held on Sat. Nov. 9 at Christ the King Catholic Church in Tampa at the 5:30 pm Vigil Mass.
Bishop Robert Lynch presided at Mass. Dinner followed in the church hall with a wonderful dinner speaker: Physicians or Technicians: Why Conscience Matters – Sister Mary Diana Dreger, OP, MD, FACP, Congregation of Saint Cecilia in Nashville, TN. Sister Mary Diana Dreger is an Internal Medicine staff physician at St. Thomas Health Services and an Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine, Dept. of Medicine, Vanderbilt University.
– “Eucharistic Adoration & Global Living Rosary ” event was held on Sunday May 26, 2013 at 7 pm at St.Patrick Catholic Church in Largo, FL. The event was organized by our CMA local guild to promote family prayer and recitation of the rosary in the
Year of Faith with Father James Kelleher/ SOLT priest from Corpus Christi, TX, founder of the Eucharistic Family Rosary Crusade. Fr. Kelleher also serves as a
retreat master for the National Catholic Medical Association. The evening began with worship of Our Lord in the most Holy Eucharist. Children/youth
then became living “beads” of the rosary with individual recitation of the first part of the Hail Mary (in a variety of languages), followed by group response with the second part of the Hail Mary in English. The Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary were recited, with scripture verses read between the Hail Marys and the Ave Maria was sung at the end of each decade. Benediction and a closing hymn concluded the event. About 250 were in attendance.
” May St. Philomena, patroness of the Living Rosary, patroness of the Children of Mary, and patroness of our local CMA guild, intercede for this event to “go global” from Florida across the CMA guilds nationally! (This CMA guild initiative started with the CMA guild in Pensacola, FL.)
– Annual WHITE MASS on Saturday Oct. 20, 2012 at 5 pm at Bethany Center in Lutz, FL. Bishop Robert Lynch celebrated Mass along with several other priests. Mass was followed by dinner with guest speaker Dr. Bryan Thatcher, director of Eucharistic Apostles of Divine Mercy. Topic was: ” Living The Message of Divine Mercy in the Home & Workplace. The event was in recognition of Catholic physicians, medical residents/students, nurses/students, and other healthcare professionals.
– CMA guild event Jan. 7, 2012 : ” Conscience Protection in Healthcare” by Michael Sheedy, Associate Director for Health of Florida Catholic Conference;
we extended special invitation to the Tampa Bay Catholic Lawyers guild to this event held at St. Joseph’s Hospital conference room.
– CMA guild event June 30, 2012 : ” The Medical Aspects of Crucifixtion”:
Guest speaker was Dr. Lynn Feaster held at St. Anthony’s Hospital auditorium.
– Memorial celebration of St. Philomena: August 11, 2012:
Guild members meet for a parish Mass at Light of Christ church, prayer and viewing of a special St. Philomena statue, then a coffee and donuts gathering.
———————————————————————– 2011 Events:
– Annual WHITE MASS held on Saturday Sept. 17, 2011 at 5 pm at Bethany Center in Lutz, FL. with Bishop Robert Lynch:
for physicians and other healthcare professionals in the Diocese of St. Petersburg. Four priests concelebrated the Mass also; Monsignor Robert Morris, Father Frank Malloy, Father Thomas Sarnecki and Fr. David Toups. The Mass was followed by dinner with guest speaker Dr. Peter Morrow (incoming NATIONAL CMA president for 2014.) Topic was: ” Fostering the identity of the Catholic physician.” There were approximately 100 people at the event including physicians, USF medical students, nurses, and spouses/guests. The event was co-sponsored by our CMA guild, BayCare Health System and the Diocese of St. Petersburg.
– August 14, 2011 event: Our CMA guild celebrated the FEAST DAY OF ST.PHILOMENA at 6:30 pm. at the St.Francis Sleep Allergy & Lung Institute in Clearwater. There was good fellowship, food, and opportunity to learn more about the patroness saint of our guild.
– MAY 14, 2011 guild event: We held a ” ‘ End of Life not Ending Life ‘ : healthcare decision making ” discussion. This was our first in review of ethical dilemmas in medical practice. Our invited guest Dr. George Isajiw, a past president of the national CMA, led our discussion via teleconference. We had 14 attendees who learned from Dr. Isajiw’s insights on this topic and held a lively discussion.
Resources included the Ethical Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services (USCCB) and the Vatican’s 1980 Declaration of Euthanasia document.
– JANUARY 8, 2011 speaker event with our guild:
We held our first speaker event on Saturday, January 8, 2011 at St. Anthony’s hospital (auditorium) in St. Petersburg. Johnnette Benkovic, nationally recognized ( including from EWTN tv ) was our wonderful, dynamic guest speaker. Her topic was ” The Catholic Medical Ethic in Today’s Culture”. The event had 30-35 attendees who engaged in open discussion following the lecture. We received very positive feedback on this inspirational talk!
September 2010 “ White Mass ” and dinner:
Our annual White Mass celebration was held on Saturday, September 18, 2010. Mass commenced at 6:30 pm in St. James Chapel at Bethany Center in Lutz. Bishop Robert Lynch was the main celebrant, along with six other priests. White Mass dinner included guest speaker Frank J. Averill, M.D. / J. D. from St. Francis Sleep Allergy & Lung Institute, Clearwater, FL. Topic was “The Spiritual Dimension of Medical Practice.” This event was co-sponsored by our local CMA guild and the Diocese of St. Petersburg. White Mass & dinner were coordinated by the board members, Lizette Hernandez, MD, other guild members, and special thanks to diocesan coordinator Sabrina Burton Schultz for all her wonderful work for this event! Approximately 120 people attended the dinner and a greater number were present at Mass.
June 2010 Brunch:
We held our first guild event with a brunch on June 26, 2010 at a local ( Brio’s) restaurant in Tampa with 21 people in attendance. We enjoyed good company and delicious food. The brunch coordinator was our active local guild member Lizette Hernandez, M.D.